Thursday, March 31, 2011

Something Nike This Way Comes. Bro.




Nike's been making a play on MX for a few years now, and it looks like they are getting ready to launch these boots for the public. You all know by now that I'm for the brands that keep the sport fresh and different, but you know that a giant like Nike coming into the mix is making the rest of the brands weak in the knees as they're losing the last sunlight they'll see before that huge fucking swoosh shadow engulfs them. But seriously, is Nike going to Wal-Mart the fuck out of the moto boot industry?

Here's the thing about boots in motocross: They serve a very real and bona fide purpose. This isn't something that you can just throw a cool design on or an established brand behind and be an instant success; people know that the right boots can literally make or break them. I'm not here to say that these Nike boots are definitely going to suck. For all I know, they'll work great. But I'm not switching from Alpinestars. It's just not going to happen. Unless these Nikes show up at my doorstep with a bow around them and a card that says "To Eazy, thanks for being the shit. You the man, da bomb diggity." Then I'll rock the Nikes. Motocross boots are the type of product that all the marketing dollars in the world will only help so much. For my money, kids, the Tech 10s are the perfect boots. Literally the only improvement that I could imagine would be in the cost, and Nike's reputation is definitely not held up by a low price tag. The buckles on the 10s do also get a little annoying, but for the most part, a squirt of Dub-D 40 does the trick.

This same thing happened in snowboarding, and when everyone was tucking their head between their knees for the Nike bomb to blow, the fuse just fizzled like James Stewart's law enforcement career. The problem is that Nike is too far from the core of these sports to rule them. The boots look okay, but I'm not holding my breath on this shit. Of course, through all thing rambling that I'm doing, there is literally no stronger brand to put behind any sort of apparel product than Nike, so they may just make me look like I'm riding the short bus. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. i love my sidi but these look like they might work really good well just have to read reviews to see

    ReplyDelete